Sunday, February 4, 2018

CRAYON MELT BACKGROUND

I have previously done classes where we've used either a mini craft iron or a Clover quilting iron to melt both beeswax as well as wax crayons to create a background.  Several people wanted to revisit this technique so I tried to work out a way to do it without the use of the irons.  I think I was successful!  All I used was cheap wax crayons, not watercolour ones though, just ordinary Crayola kids ones, a heat gun and a small, metal palette knife.  It wasn't always necessary to use the palette knife to spread the wax, sometimes I could do it purely with the heat of the heat gun to remelt the wax and get it to drip and run.  But other times if you want specific swirls or more definite strokes, the metal palette knife worked really well.  I even used my metallic crayons with great success.  Like all of these techniques though, viewing on the computer screen just does not do the backgrounds justice, amazing texture, satiny shine and metallic shimmer when gold, silver or copper was used.

"Scars"...
(gold & black crayons)

"Tequila"...
(citrus & pale grey crayons)

"Salty"...
(green-blue & copper crayons)

"Psychic"...
(orange & purple crayons)

"Demons"...
(red & dark grey crayons)

No comments: